1. What are natural disasters?
2. Have you ever experienced a natural disaster?
3. What was the last natural disaster you saw on TV?
4. Have you ever prepared for a natural disaster?
5. Are there often natural disasters in your country?
6. What’s the worst natural disaster in your opinion?
7. Do you think natural disasters are happening more frequently in the world today?
8. What’s the best natural disaster movie you’ve ever seen?
Lesson by Rose Eveleth, animation by Eli Enigenburg.
Lesson by Alex Gendler, animation by Augenblick Studios.
In 132 CE, Zhang Heng presented his latest invention: a large vase he claimed could tell them whenever an earthquake occurred for hundreds of miles. Today, we no longer rely on pots as warning systems, but earthquakes still offer challenges to those trying to track them. Why are earthquakes so hard to anticipate, and how could we get better at predicting them? Jean-Baptiste P. Koehl investigates.
Lesson by Jean-Baptiste P. Koehl, directed by Cabong Studios.